[Release] Multiple Selection, 66 New Icons, Horizontal Site Map and lots more!
Hello again friends of Balsamiq, I hope you're all having a great summer! 🙂
As always, we've been busy improving our little tool for you all, one step at the time. We're pretty excited about today's release, so let's dive in!
This was a long time coming, and we're pretty happy about how it came out!
You can now select more than one mockup, asset or trashed resource, and perform operations on the selected items all at once.
This is especially useful when you want to reorder multiple mockups, or delete unused assets in a project. We also have plans for making this feature more and more useful in the future, you'll see... 🙂
To select multiple items just use SHIFT+CLICK or CTRL+CLICK, just like in most other software that supports multiple selection.
As part of this feature, we also gave the Mockups and Assets navigator the ability to maintain keyboard focus. This means that after clicking on a mockup you'll be able to use the arrow keys to navigate through your project, or do things like hitting ENTER or F2 to rename the current mockup or asset (a heringsfilet idea). It's a small thing, but it will save you lots of time in the long run.
The navigator, without focus (left), and with focus (right). Subtle!
SIXTY-SIX New Icons with FontAwesome 4.4!
Our partnership with Dave from FontAwesome is working out really well.
We worked with him to add some icons that were part of our old Mockups 2 set but were missing from FontAwesome 4.3, and now they're part of FontAwesome 4.4, along with a ton of other new useful icons.
Here are the icons we're directly responsible for in FontAwesome 4.4:
I asked Dave how much I could share about our influence on the FontAwesome project, and he said: Truthfully, you’re the kick that got 4.4 out. 🙂
We're really proud to support FontAwesome and in the process make not just Balsamiq Mockups, but the entire Internet better for everyone.
Check out all of the new icons released in FontAwesome 4.4 (and included in today's Balsamiq Mockups 3 release) here:
Horizontal Site Maps!
The Site Map control is a popular one, but we've heard many times that it takes up a lot of space.
With today's release, you'll be able to use a new "Direction" toggle in the Site Map inspector to switch to a Horizontal view, which is just as clear, but more compact.
Check it out!
Thanks so much to all of you who requested this enhancement!
Other Improvements and Bug Fixes
- We added a little visual indicator for mockups that have alternates, and made the icon to switch multiple alternates at once a little more discoverable, check it out:
Thanks Jenni Merrifield, pattricia and JeromeR for requesting these enhancements!
- We added the CTRL+SHIFT+PAGEUP and CTRL+SHIFT+PAGEDOWN to navigate between a mockup's alternates. Handy! Thanks Michael E. and JeromeR for requesting this!
- We fixed the name of the official version of a mockup to "Official Version", not "Official Versions".
- We fixed a few pretty big memory leaks, the memory consumption shouldn't keep growing during normal operation any more.
- We now sort items in the Trash alphabetically.
- We fixed an issue with alternates showing up in a different order than their official version.
- We fixed an issue with importing a bmml exported from Mockups for Confluence or JIRA.
- We improved how the new Calendar control behaves at very small sizes.
- We changed the Formatting Toolbar control to use the new FontAwesome icons instead of our old ones.
- We fixed an issue with "Save as..." not saving thumbnails of alternate mockups properly.
- We fixed an issue with Mockups not warning before overwriting a file in some cases.
- We fixed an issue with Mockups not adding a .zip extension when exporting to BMMLs project in some cases.
- Launching Mockups by double-clicking on a BMPR file no longer opens other projects that were open when you last closed the app (except for projects that have never been saved, otherwise you'd lose those). Thanks Bryan B. and ahobday for requesting this!
- We fixed an issue with the position of cropped control changing on file re-open in some cases. Thanks John H. for reporting the bug!
- We fixed an issue with maintaining proper cropping coordinates when importing from BMML. Thanks John H. for reporting this one too!
- We fixed a little annoying visual bug with the progress bar moving up and down during long operations.
- "Used By" in Assets now shows the mockup name along with the Alternate name when necessary.
- We now support importing from ZIPs that have a single directory in them with all the bmmls and assets in it.
- We fixed an issue with the Assets list not updating after a rename.
- We fixed an issue with the text color of the selected UI Library control being black instead of white.
- We fixed an issue with exporting mockups with # in their name to BMML. Thanks Andre M. for reporting this!
- We fixed a bug with deleting mockups in rapid succession in big projects making the app unresponsive. Thanks JeromeR for reporting this one as well!
- We fixed an issue with not being able to type the ć character on Polish keyboards. Thanks pataps for reporting it.
- We fixed the conversion of the File icon from v2 to v3.
How do I update?
If you're using the Web Demo or Mockups for Google Drive, you're already updated.
For other versions, simply install from our download page on top of your current installation. You won't have to re-register.
As always, if you hit any snags with the new build let us know immediately and we'll fix it right up! 🙂
For posterity, today's release is build 3.1.8.
What else is going on?
- We are working with a few volunteers to translate UX Apprentice in multiple languages. See this blog post for details.
- We updated our Twitter header and background, check it out! https://twitter.com/balsamiq
- We updated the Balsamiq In The News section of our Press page with a list of articles from 2008 to today.
- We continue to be working hard on bringing v3 to myBalsamiq.
Get the Inside Scoop!
Want to be part of the Balsamiq inner circle?
Want to know what we're up to before everyone else?
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter! See Past Issues.