Mockups For Desktop 1.1 alpha - not for the faint of heart
A full 16 days after the release of Mockups 1.0, an alpha version of 1.1 is ready for testing for the braves amongst you. 🙂
Version 1.1 is scheduled to be released on July 21st, and it will be a free upgrade to customers of Mockups 1.0.
- ability to open multiple mockups at the same time - this one is a biggie, see below for more details.
- A new "create a new mockup as a clone of this one" feature
- The application window remembers its position and size since you last closed it (this feels quite nice actually)
- PNGs are exported to the same folder as the mockup's XML file (not always on the desktop like before)
- The application window has a minimum size of 500x500 pixels
- UPDATE: just added international fonts support - details here
What's still in the works
- making the new tabs scroll if it they don't fit, making them draggable to re-order them, and prettifying the whole mockups bar a bit
- two or three new control types (stay tuned, these should be fun)
- recording a new video for the desktop version and updating the help and tour pages to include them
- whatever other bug fix/small improvement I can fit in the next two weeks
What will NOT be in 1.1
- image upload - I know this is a highly requested feature, but it's a tricky one and I want to get it right both on the Desktop and the Confluence versions of Mockups. Be assured it's next on my list.
From one to multiple: anatomy of a new feature
Here's a non-exhaustive list of what goes into adding the ability to open multiple mockups at the same time:
- a new tab-bar which shows the open mockup files:
and allows you to create new ones quickly:
- new menus for "Save All", "Close" and "Create Clone":
- the ability to copy and paste from one mockup to another
- a new "save multiple mockups on exit" dialog:
- saving and restoring session information for multiple mockups
- reworking the "dirty" mechanism to decide if the current mockup needs saving or not
- ability to deal with multiple, never-saved before, new mockups
I have tested the new feature quite a bit, but since this is a deep and tricky one I expect there might be a few bugs left in there. Are you willing to help me find them? If so, download and install the new mockups1.1 beta here.
Looking forward to your feedback!
Get the Inside Scoop!
Want to be part of the Balsamiq inner circle?
Want to know what we're up to before everyone else?
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter! See Past Issues.