Little updates here and there
Hi there, sorry for not blogging for a while (a whole 10 days!), but I've been pretty busy with both Balsamiq work and life in general: after 3 months "on vacation" traveling around Italy, real life is starting here in Bologna: we are buying furniture, unpacking boxes, dealing with immigration for my American wife (so fun!)...plus our little one started school last week, talk about milestones! 🙂
Anyways, a quick update to list the improvements and bug fixes I made since the last "update" post of August 31st:
- ALL: moved the About dialog to the Help menu
- ALL: added a background color to the TextArea control
- ALL: you can now hold down CTRL while resizing or moving to temporarely turn off snapping
- ALL: added the ability to drag past the edges of the app to select and resize. This is worth another blog post: it took days, it's not perfect and I'm not even finished (I'm missing auto-scroll on move), but the consensus is that what's there is better than nothing. This was definitely NOT fun, look I even resorted to asking advice on StackOverflow!
- ALL: Dialogs now stay centered as you resize your editor window (this fixes an edge case in Google Chrome)
- ALL: you can now ESCape your way out of Quick Add.
- ALL: the app is now more respectful of your empty spaces. You can type spaces to make room for icons and they won't get deleted. Same for empty rows in lists
- ALL: DataGrid now has text editing controls, so you can make the text smaller, centered, etc
- Desktop: added CTRL+L to toggle the UI Library
- Confluence, JIRA: added no-cache directives to work around IE7's aggressive caching of the mockup's XML data
- Confluence: now ignores carriage returns in the license key (this was bad, it would take down Confluence)
- Desktop (Windows): the open dialog now lists both XML and BMML files by default
- Desktop: removed leading "/" from PNG export confirmation dialog
- ALL: fixed an horizontal alignment bug in the Horizontal Curly brace control
- Confluence/JIRA: added /, \ and = to the illegal characters in the mockup names
- Desktop: "Save As..." automatically goes to the last folder you used (for real this time)
- ALL: fixed a bug with going back to "None" as the selection for List, TabBar and VerticalTabBar (now it works)
- Desktop: no longer adds .bmml.bmml.bmml...
- ALL: the mockup canvas now has a maximum size of 2880x2880. I had to add this because Flash cannot export PNGs bigger than that. 🙁
Business Update: has it really been 3 months already?
Things are still going really well for Balsamiq. Today is exactly the 3-months mark since launch, and Mockups keeps getting rave reviews and tweets. Sales are growing nicely, and the combined income from the 3 different products makes for some exciting variations week by week. I'd love to share more but I promised I'd save it until revenue reaches $100K, and I'm only half-way there. Oops, did I say too much? 😉
Two other BIG things are going on:
- I am very close to announce the port of Mockups to another wiki platform. Stay tuned for more, I'm excited about it!
- I have started implementing the "image upload" feature, a.k.a. the #1 most requested feature. Wish me luck! 🙂
Thanks for reading this far and have a great day!
Get the Inside Scoop!
Want to be part of the Balsamiq inner circle?
Want to know what we're up to before everyone else?
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter! See Past Issues.