Licensing Changes for Mockups For Confluence
Your Mockups and Confluence licenses no longer have to match.
In other words: you can now install a small license of Mockups (i.e. a Team license) on a bigger license (say, Enterprise) of Confluence.
In other words: Mockups for Confluence just got a lot more affordable! 🙂
The reasons for the change
A few prospective customers have asked me for it, and it makes perfect sense. Mockups is somewhat of a "vertical" solution. After all not everyone in a large organization is interested in mocking up websites or software, so why should you pay to give access to everyone?
How it works
I tried to make it as simple as possible. Here's what happens:
- you install Mockups for Confluence normally (no changes here)
- while you are using a trial of Mockups for Confluence, everyone can add and edit mockups (no changes here either)
- once you enter your Mockups license, the plugin detects your Confluence license level, and compares it to your Mockups license
- if the two licenses match (i.e. Team/Team or Workgroup/Workgroup), everyone who has access to the wiki will see the "Add UI Mockup" and "edit this mockup" links - this is basically how it works today
- if your Mockups license is smaller than your Confluence license, only members of the "balsamiq-mockups-editors" group will see the "Add UI Mockup" and "edit this mockup" links. You create the group yourself and manage its members normally, via the Confluence admin UI (docs here).
If your Mockups and Confluence licenses match, there is no change to any of the UI anywhere.
If your Mockups license is smaller than your Confluence license, you'll see this in the "Configure Mockups" screen:
Now let's say Mockups is hugely popular in your organization and everyone wants access to it. You keep adding members to the balsamiq-mockups-editors group, and somehow you add more than what your Mockups license allows. When this happens, you'll see this "friendly but firm" warning:
To make sure you notice, the same warning is displayed under every mockup in the wiki:
When this happens you can either remove some people from the balsamiq-mockups-editors group, or upgrade your Mockups for Confluence license - we suggest the latter option. 😉
So that's it! If you liked Mockups but couldn't justify the price for your whole organization, I hope this change will remove that obstacle. Now you can start small and buy it for your team for only $600.
Get the Inside Scoop!
Want to be part of the Balsamiq inner circle?
Want to know what we're up to before everyone else?
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter! See Past Issues.