Release: new Image inspector, huge leap forward in Mockups for Google Drive, and more!
Hello friends of Balsamiq! It's time for another release!
This one is an exciting one. Let's see what's new.
New Image Inspector Pulldown
The image inspector pulldown had been in need of some love for a long time. It only showed images used in the current mockup, it sometimes showed images twice, it didn't show where images came from...in short, it wasn't very useful.
That all changes today. The new pulldown is more organized, more visual, faster to use and, we think, much more useful.
Take a look:
The Project Assets panel shows all images in your assets folder. If you have site/account assets, a tab will appear for them. If you use web images or images using relative paths that are not project assets, those will show in the Other tab. On the desktop, you'll also see a handy link to open the Account Assets folder.
This is a step towards making projects first-class citizens in our app, as it encourages people to use project assets more, following our best practice. We have many more steps planned, but as you know, we like to ship things one little free-standing piece at the time, so that we can get your feedback on it. 🙂
Let us know what you think!
Projects come to Mockups for Google Drive!
We are continuing the work to bring all of our product versions to feature parity with each other.
With today's release, Mockups for Google Drive moves a huge step forward in that direction. In fact, it even gets some features that other versions don't have yet!
Here's a list of today's biggest improvements:
- The Project Browser: just like in myBalsamiq, you can now see all the mockups in your Google Drive folder, and quickly jump from one to the other to edit them. There is a list view:
And a thumbnails view:
You can also sort your mockup with drag and drop, as well as create new mockups, and clone, rename or delete existing ones, all from within the editor.
- Project Assets Support: you can now see images saved in your assets/ folder directly in the UI Library, in the new Image Property Inspector panel, and in the Image Import dialog.
- Links Support: yes! You can now finally specify links between mockups, just like in our other versions.
To navigate between mockups, just go full screen and click around!
- Real Time Collaboration: this is huge, and a long time coming. You can now collaborate on each mockup in real time with others. Just share your folder full of BMMLs and assets, then when you both open the Mockups for Google Drive editor at the same time you will see the other person's edits happen in real time. Try it out, it's awesome.
As usual, everything is auto-saved, all the time.
As an added bonus, if you use the Google Drive Desktop Sync client, you can collaborate between someone using Mockups for Desktop and Mockups for Google Drive pretty seamlessly! Whoa, right? 🙂
We think you'll love the new changes, let us know if you run into any issues and we'll fix them right up!
The last two big features missing, which are coming very soon, are automatic fixing of links on file rename (we call it 'the relinker'), and Symbol support!
Only $5 per month for all this goodness is starting to feel pretty darn cheap ...you'd better act now before we raise our prices... 😉
Designate a Secondary Billing Administrator in myBalsamiq
Up until today, the site owner was the only person who could make billing changes to a myBalsamiq site. This is often not ideal, as the person with purchasing power might not be the same person that needs to manage (or even use) myBalsamiq.
Starting today the site owner can designate a staff member as the secondary billing contact. This allows them to see the payments page, renew, upgrade, downgrade and download past myBalsamiq receipts. Try it out!
Other fixes and improvements
- Mockups for Desktop: double clicking on a file to open the app did not open the new file in OS X Maverick (fixed in 2.2.17).
- Mockups for Desktop: the application would grow in size on Windows if you opened it by clicking on bmml files on disk (fixed in 2.2.17).
- Mockups for Desktop: fixed a memory leak on Windows 8 when the app was not in focus (fixed in 2.2.17). Thanks Julianna Cs. for reporting it!
- Mockups for Desktop: fixed the way we encoded Symbol paths in the BMML in 2.2.16 (fixed in 2.2.17).
- Mockups for Desktop: Added a "Rename Mockup" menu item to the File menu, to expose this awesome little feature a bit more. Thanks Jacqueline S. for requesting it!
- Mockups for Desktop: fixed an issue with command line export hanging sometimes. Thank you Dave B. for reporting it!
- Mockups for Desktop: fixed an issue with the app window growing by 20 pixels on Windows when opening a bmml file by double-clicking on it. Thanks Andreas F. and B for reporting it!
- Mockups for Desktop: fixed an issue with the positioning of the tab for newly cloned mockups (now they stay next to the original mockup, they don't jump to the end). Thanks Dave Perkins for bringing this up! This also fixes Milos Krocian's bug report.
- myBalsamiq: big performance improvements on editor startup time.
- myBalsamiq: added an automatic retry mechanism on image uploads (should cut down on the Error #2038 messages).
- Mockups for Confluence: made it compatible with Confluence 5.4.
How do I update?
If you're using myBalsamiq, you're already updated. Just log back in and enjoy.
For other versions, simply install from our download page on top of your current installation. You won't have to re-register.
As always, if you hit any snags with the new build let us know immediately and we'll fix it right up! 🙂
For posterity, these are the version numbers of today's release:
- myBalsamiq: build #4074
- Mockups for Desktop: version
- Mockups for Google Drive: version 2.2.32
- Mockups for Confluence: version 2.2.18
- Mockups for JIRA: version 2.2.18
- Web Demo: version 2.2.19 launch it
What else is going on?
- We published a new recipe on our What should I make for dinner? page.
- On the Champions blog: Wayne Chen on Avoiding Common Mobile Product Mistakes
- On the Life @ Balsamiq blog: Sketching the 2013 Retreat
- Our awesome community has added new Symbol libraries to MockupsToGo: one for iOS7 controls, one for Timelines, one for Charts, one of Funnel, one of a normal distribution chart, one of The Business Model Canvas, one about the Arduino Uno, plus a Calendar and a TV Screen and Remote.